USGBC 2018 Southern Hospitality summit
U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) will hold its second annual Southern Hospitality Summit in Charleston, S.C., on Oct. 19, 2018.
Sustainability experts, local leaders, builders, developers and professionals in the hospitality industry will convene to discuss how to infuse sustainability with luxury. Katarina Tesarova, vice president of global sustainability for Las Vegas Sands Corp., one of the world’s leading and most respected hotel and gaming companies, will deliver the keynote at the event. Tesarova leads Las Vegas Sands’ global sustainability efforts by developing and implementing a comprehensive sustainability strategy focused on reducing the environmental impacts of the organization. Prior to joining Las Vegas Sands, she was responsible for managing property sustainability programs at MGM Resorts International as Director of Sustainable Operations. She also led efforts to certify several of the buildings located in CityCenter, a $8.6 billion, mixed-use urban destination in Las Vegas. Under Tesarova’s leadership, CityCenter achieved several LEED Gold certifications, making it one of the largest groups of new construction LEED-certified projects in the world. Read the full press release.
Attendees will also explore:
- Existing case studies of sustainable hospitality, showcasing examples of innovative architecture, construction and interior design.
- Affordable and incremental opportunities to employ sustainable hospitality strategies at properties or workplaces to enhance guest experience, improve bottom line, and elevate marketing impression.
- Strategies to effectively integrate and balance economic development goals, environmental stewardship, and social impacts on business models to ensure responsible operations that regenerate and sustain local communities.
- Incentives for new construction, major renovations and capital improvements from North Carolina and South Carolina energy providers.
Keynote: Katarina Tesarova, Vice President Of Global Sustainability, Las Vegas Sands Corp.Speakers: INNOVATIVE DESIGN + CONSTRUCTION: RESILIENCY IN HOSPITALITY
- Jonathan C. Cakert, AIA, NCARB, Associate, Cooper Carry
- J.D. Harper, LEED GA, Architectural Designer, Perkins + Will
- Jennifer Johnson, AIA, LEED AP BD+C, WELL AP, GGP, CDT, Project Manager & Sustainability
- Consultant, McMillian Pazdan Smith
- Kyle Sprayberry, LEED AP, DBIA, Senior Project Manager, Choate Construction
INNOVATIVE INTERIOR DESIGN + CONSTRUCTION: BEST PRACTICES FOR HOSPITALITShare
- Kelly Gilreath, IIDA, LEED AP, GGP, Senior Associate & Senior Designer, LS3P
- Laura Middleton, AIA LEED AP, Principal Architect, The Middleton Group
- Troy Virgo, Director of Sustainability & Product Stewardship, Shaw Industries, Inc.
CRAFTING SUSTAINABLE IDENTITY: PLACEMAKING DRIVERS
- Dr. Litvin, Professor of Hospitality and Tourism Management, College of Charleston
- Cindy Camacho, AICP, Senior Planner/Project Manager, AECOM
- Kevin Mills, President & CEO, South Carolina Aquarium
- Charleston Resilience Network
INNOVATIVE OPERATIONS + MAINTENANCE: CASE STUDIES
- Leah Cooper, Sustainability Coordinator, Sierra Nevada
- Leah Clark, LEED AP, Manager of the People Department & Sustainable Practices Initiative Quaintance-Weaver Restaurants & Hotels
- Tim Trefzer, LEED AP, Manager of Corporate & Social Responsibility, Georgia World Congress
- Tony Wartko, CMCA, LEED Green Associate, Director of Facility Services, Sea Pines Resort
THE DEWBERRY PROJECT TEAM PANEL
- Ann Palmer, Director of Business Development, The Dewberry Charleston
- John Lockie, VP of Design, Studio Dewberry
- Ashley Powell, PMP, MBA, LEED AP BD+C, ID+C, GGP, Principal, Building It Green